Caregiver scam Craigslist

I applied for a caregiver job posting and on the email I was stupid enough to list my phone number after I got the email posted below I realized it was a scam but the person named”Laura George”sent me inoumerous text messages basically begging for my info stating she needed to place her mother 10 miles from my house and for receiving payment! This is absurd I just need a job and all these ppl just waste my time… Below is the email response

Hello There,
Thanks for your email. I need a caregiver for my Mother, who will be coming from HAWAII (Honolulu) soon. she is 60 Years of age, 140lbs and 5.8ft. She can speak English fluently. We would have moved her to elderly care center here in the State but she doesn’t like being there. I really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this work.The work basis are below:

- You are to be checking on My Mother at least 4 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you have little medical experience.
– You will be earning $400 a week for handling this work properly.
– You will be driving her to the hospital when the need arises for proper medical check up at least once in a month and if you don’t know how to drive a car, you can hire it.
– Your working days will be Mon, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance, you are absolute free to do so.

To proceed, kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so that we can ensure the housing broker get her an apartment which will be more closer to your house. I hope about 10 miles will not be too far for you. Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools in any nearest pharmacy store around you. If all this works for you, you can get back to me with the following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

1. Full Name
2. Mailing Address,
3. City
4. State and Zip Code
5. Phone Number
6.Age, Sex and marital status.

I will be sending you her address very soon so that you will know where you will be working. I will give you her home address once the housing broker find her a suitable house. I will be awaiting your email and we can proceed as you understand that the date of her arrival is close.

Thanks!

Scam reported at FightTheScams.com

9 Comments on “Caregiver scam Craigslist”

1. Corey says:

Next, she’ll want to send you a check to cash to purchase “supplies.” This is a check kiting scam.

2. Kady says:

Well, she’s still at it:

Hello There,

– You are to be checking on My Mother at least 4 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you have little medical experience.
    – You will be earning $400 a week for handling this work properly.

1. Full Name
    2. Mailing Address,
    3. City
    4. State and Zip Code
    5. Phone Number
    6.Age, Sex and marital status.

Thanks!
    *******************************************
    My reply:
    Thanks so much for your reply. I would prefer a live in situation so proximity to where I live now is not a priority. I would like to stay in Lancaster county as that is where my family is and I enjoy being close enough to spend time with them.

I’m leaving out my personal information for this posting

I have a car and a clean driving record
    I have done live in home health care before and I thoroughly enjoy it.
    Again, thanks for your reply and I look forward to walking through this opportunity with you.
    ************************************************************
    Response From Laura George:
    Thanks for the details, I am fully satisfied with you. The Job has been assigned to you as my mom Caregiver. You will be properly briefed in order to carry out every task appropriately. I believe we have started with TRUST , HONESTY AND SOUND MIND! Please assure me of your trust, honesty and commitment. I will make arrangement to send payment to you inform of certified check for your first salary and you will be informed once the payment has been sent and what you are to do with the remaining money after deducting your first salary. Thanks for the co-operation and understanding in this transaction.

Thanks once again for your effort. You will start work as soon as possible after receiving the first week salary and get paid weekly.

Regards!
    ************************************************************
    Laura,
    Thanks for your confidence in me. I would like to meet in person to further discuss the job, what your mother’s specific needs will be and how I can best meet those needs. I am uncertain where you live but perhaps a lunch meeting would be best to cover all the details. Let me know what would work for you.
    Sincerely,
    Kendra
    ************************************************************
    Four Days and NO response so I tried again
    ************************************************************
    Laura,
    I haven’t heard from you in a few days and am wonderering if you are still interested in me for the position. I would still like to have a sit down meeting to go over the specifics of the job, what your mother’s health care needs are and how I can meet those needs and make her life the most comfortable it can be. If you could let me know what the delay is as well as a time table for when the job would begin I would appreciate it.
    Sincerely,
    Kendra
    ************************************************************
    Don’t expect to be hearing from her anytime soon. What a Joke!

3. Kady says:

She hasn’t given up. Received this today

Hello

I hope you are doing ? I am so sorry for the delay just that i had some issues I just solved and also busy with preparation on moving down my MOM, which I want all things needed to be ready at same time including your payment. I am using this opportunity to inform you, your payment will be ready this week and I want you to get ready to work immediately you get your payment and i believe she will received the best treatment.

Hope to hear from you real soon.

4. SanDiegoSteve says:

I have gotten the same person/scam today. Almost word for word. Here is mine:

Hello,

Thanks for your email. I need a caregiver for my Mother, who will be
    coming from HAWAII (Honolulu) soon. she is 70 Years of age, 140lbs and
    5.8ft. She can speak English fluently. We would have moved her to
    elderly care center here in the State but she doesn’t like being
    there. I really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this work.
    The work basis are below:

– You are to be checking on My Mother at least 4 times in a week for
    proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you
    have little medical experience.
    – You will be earning $400 a week for handling this work properly.
    – You will be driving her to the hospital when the need arises for
    proper medical check up at least once in a month and if you don’t know
    how to drive a car, you can hire it.
    – Your working days will be Mon, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. You
    will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days
    which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part
    time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for
    other assistance, you are absolute free to do so.

To proceed, kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so
    that we can ensure the housing broker get her an apartment which will
    be more closer to your house. I hope about 10 miles will not be too
    far for you. Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront
    via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical
    tools in any nearest pharmacy store around you. If all this works for
    you, you can get back to me with the following details so that we can
    ensure you are ready for the work.

1. Full Name
    2. Mailing Address,
    3. City
    4. State and Zip Code
    5. Phone Number
    6.Age, Sex and marital status.

I will be sending you her address very soon so that you will know
    where you will be working. I will give you her home address once the
    housing broker find her a suitable house. I will be awaiting your
    email and we can proceed as you understand that the date of her
    arrival is close.

Thanks!

5. SanDiegoSteve says:

Here are the two email addresses this person used with me:

norakuzel05@gmail.com

Camoads1976@gmail.com

6. KathyT67 says:

I too saw a posting on Craig’s List and replied, only asking for additional information (days, hours, and location) before I applied. I received this email as a response to those questions from Connie Jaconi mysmith.gibb@gmail.com:

Good Day.

I have received your resume message. Am Connie Jaconi and My Sister’s name is Mary she’ll be coming from (Harrah, OK), She will be moving to your location for a proper care on 05th of Oct, 2012,she is 140lbs and 5.8ft and she speaks English fluently.We really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this work. The work basis are below.

– You are to be checking on My Sister at least everyday 2-3 hours for proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you have little medical experience.

– You will be earning $400 weekly plus other benefit.

– You will be driving her to hospital when she need arise for proper medical check up at least once in a month and if you don’t know how to drive, We will hire you a good driver.

– Your working days will be Mon-friday.

You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance there will be no problem.

So kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so that we can ensure the housing agent get her an apartment which will be more closer to your house and I hope about 10 miles will not be too far for you.Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools
    like one touch basic machine,acu-check machine and test trips in any nearest pharmacy store around. So i will want you fill the below employment form so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

1) Full Name: …….
    2) Contact Address …..
    3) CITY: ………
    4) State: ………………..
    5) Zip code: ………………..
    6) Age: ………………..
    7) Sex: ………………..
    8) Current Job: ………………..
    9) Marital Status ………………..
    10) Cell and Home Number # ………………..
    11) What are your background records?

I will be sending you her living address very soon so that you will know where you will be working.I will give you her living address once the rental agent find her a suitable house.I will be awaiting your email soonest and we can proceed as you can understand that the date is getting approach.

Thanks.

7. jazzyb35 says:

I had been replying with the same person going by Lativia Gates or Lativia Gatewood. Today I recieved a priority mail check of $3,200. I immediatly called the bank it was sent from and was told it is in fact a frudulent check and to shred it right away… Be careful

8. bkeenan says:

Here’s an example of a similar email, however expectation is that I would drive the person’s mother.

I responded via email to this post from Tuesday October 24 in Philadelphia:

This was the response:
    Thanks for responding to my ad posted, I’m looking for a very special person who is responsible, caring, patient, and fun! I’m a very busy person who needs an extra hand and looking for a professional and experienced driver to take up a private assignment, at least 6months of driving experience and also with a Valid License to help drive my Mom while on 3 months vacation in philadelphia, She’s going to be aroud there for 3 months, So you will be driving her 3 times a week and for the period of 2hrs-3hrs each day. Days which you will be driving her would be : Monday, Wednesday, Friday or saturday, Hours which you will be driving her would be : 10 am – 1pm. Let me know if these hours are okay with you.

Am providing the car which you will be driving as I need to know if you are familiar with the car and to know if you can handle it.

Here’s the Car details:
    2007 BMW 5 Series E60
    Transmission:- Automatic
    Details:- 2WD, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Air Bags, Air Conditioning,
    Anti-lock Brakes, CD, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Steering, Power
    Windows, Premium Wheels, Spoiler, Sun/Moon roof .

So am offering you $400 per week, and the continuation of this Job depends on how you drive her on the first two weeks. I will be waiting for your timely response as to know who I will recommend to drive my Mom. I sincerely hope to read from you soon. I’m currently in Waterloo, Ontario. Canada right now on a special duty from office. And I will like to make all necessary arrangement prior her arrival.

I awaits your response.

Thanks and God Bless.

After responding to this letter I received email today:

Good Day,

Thanks for your swift response, Its highly appreciated. I have received your email confirming that you are willing and able to handle the job for me as outlined in my previous email, She’s the only one left for me please I need you to help drive her carefully. My mother’s name is Heather Bennett (68 years Old, Strong and Healthy) and she will be there for 3 Months. I will have the agent make an hotel booking close to your vicinity, And that’s where she will be staying throughout her visit. The car will be provided on the resumption date. Please stay calm, I will have all the arrangements perfect to make the work easier and stress free.

As regards the payment, Payment shall be mail to you in form of pay order through my financial assistant, Which will be mailed to the information you provide.

I will be sending you extra funds, That would cover your upfront salary and my Mom’s Moving Agent who’s handling her luggage’s and hotel reservations, In which you will deduct your upfront salary $400 and the balance will be remitted to my Mom’s Moving Agent as regards of her luggage’s and hotel reservations.

I will appreciate it a lot, If you be delighted in accepting this offer and as well look forward in having a better service from you. You will be starting this job from 5th November

please let me know if you understands what I meant here before any further arrangements, Kindly get back asap with the requested information below to proceed accordingly.

(1) Full Name
    (2) Mailing Address, No P.O.Box Please….
    (3) Your direct telephone number / Mobile Number
    (4) Acceptance of my offer
    (5) Age
    (6) Working Experience

Will be waiting for your reply.

Needless to say, the request for personal information (I had already sent my resume) and the poor grasp of the language made this looked suspicious and I found this forum. Thanks for the previous posts.

9. underdapalms says:

Thanks everyone! This is the exact e-mail I got word for word. I replied to the second e-mail that said I was accepted by copying and pasting the beginning of this page to jordan lewis [jordanl4g@gmail.com]. Then I blocked the e-mail as spam in Outlook. My message was exactly the same, even the weight and height of the “mom” only mine was coming from Canada. I am in Palm Springs and we do have well paying snowbirds here but apparently not this one.

I flagged the post. It was under craiglist for Palm Springs, medical health, January 28th. It’s now gone.